Tuesday 15 January 2013

Do You Really Wanna Know Why Yr Still In Love With Me?


As band names go, Joanna Gruesome is certainly not one of my favourites.  As sounds go, however, their clattering, feedback-riddled guitar pop is absolutely one of my favourites.  Of the current crop of  groups to marry sweet (but definitely not 'twee' - they'll batter you if you so much as whisper that word in the same postcode as them!), non-shouty voices to riotous guitars, they're probably the most fun outside of Gold-Bears*.  The frenetic 30 or so seconds before the final 14 of their "Do You Really Wanna Know Why Yr Still In Love With Me?" single (Happy Happy Birthday To Me) are a thrill ride the likes of which I haven't experienced since I listened to The Charlottes' mighty "Are You Happy Now?" on headphones whilst falling down the stairs.  Much more of this and they'll have me feeling young again!  Just as well they have that 14 second warm down at the end.  A man of my age would surely overheat without it...



* - Gold-Bears recently posted a cover of the most tender-voiced, evocative Clientele song.  Of course it doesn't top the original - how could it? - but it's a mighty fine version and well worth a spin or two.

Note the typically great Andy Hart artwork.  I tell ya, if I was doing a label again, I'd have him do a sleeve or two!

(Brits can snag a copy from Soft Power or Pebble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment